Saturday 21 June 2008

Email response from my local MP, Charles Hendry, about his expenses

Dear Mr Miscellanean

Charles HendryThank you for your email request and I am sorry for the delay in responding. [Couple of weeks - Misc.]

Following the recent Court decision, the details of the expenses of all Members of Parliament, related to their constituency/second homes, are to be published later in the year. As you will appreciate, with 650 Members of Parliament this will involve a significant amount of work and my understanding is that this should be published in September.

From the start of this financial year, we are also publishing on a quarterly basis details of all expenses that which we have claimed.

Many of us have been appalled by the recent revelations of what it is permissible to claim. I have never bought anything from the so-called 'John Lewis list' nor have I ever claimed for anything which is not be backed by a receipt.

Yours sincerely

Charles Hendry

Member of Parliament for Wealden
Shadow Minister for Energy, Industry & Postal Affairs
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA

www.charleshendry.com

Update following House of Commons vote

Dear Mr Miscellanean

Thank you for your email about how I voted in the recent "John Lewis" debate. I voted against the so-called 'John Lewis list' and in favour of greater transparency and external auditing.

As I stressed in my earlier response, I have never claimed for anything from the 'John Lewis list' nor made any claim without submitting a receipt. Having worked in the private sector for almost all of my life before being elected to Parliament, I cannot comprehend how any MP can think that we should have more relaxed rules on expenses than apply to our constituents.

I hope this helps to reassure you.

Yours sincerely,

Charles Hendry

No comments: